Friday, May 7, 2010

FSO Things You Love To Touch



How do you touch a Province? A geographic area 354,341.8 sq mi in size, with 250,000 lakes and over 100,000 kilometres (62,000 mi) of rivers? Even if you love it, how do you embrace it?



It can only be done symbolically. And it can only be done in the spring.




Because it is only in the spring that the trillium, the symbol of Ontario blooms, and then only briefly.



While it is a popular belief that it is illegal to pick the common Trillium grandiflorum (white trillium) in Ontario, in reality they are only protected in provincial parks and land owned by conservation authorities. However, the rare Trillium flexipes (drooping trillium) is protected by law in Ontario, because of its very small Canadian population.



Trillium is one of many plants whose seeds are spread by ants. At maturity, the base and core of the trillium ovary turns soft and spongy. Trillium seeds have a fleshy organ called an elaiosome that attracts ants. The ants extract the seeds from the decaying ovary and take them to their nest, where they eat the elaiosomes and put the seeds in their garbage, where they germinate in a rich growing medium.




Of course there are other wild flowers, and there are rocks and grasses and trees, but it is only by reaching out and touching the soft delicate petals of the trillium that you truly touch the soul of a Province

19 comments:

  1. Hi Barry,

    You are good by just touching. I am very guilty of what my husband calls, a flower thief. When I was a student in Windsor, I did go to parks, but at that time, I wasn't interested in plants.

    We went once to what was the southern most point of Canada.

    How are you feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not feeling too bad today, Ann. I spent all day yesterday putting cold compresses on my back and I've taken pain killers and almost feel normal--as long as I don't bend, twist or lift anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful words, beautiful photos. A perfect post for things that we love to touch that lift our soul and spirits. Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never touched a trillum but now I MUST! So interesting about the ants and seeds.

    Mr Linky is not cooperating for me, here is my post: My Shoot Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wedding bouquet was a bunch of trillium that I picked in the woods on my parents Wisconsin farm.So they are very symbolic for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very interesting take on this week's theme. I do like touching the velvety petals of the irises and tulips in the yard, but I don't usually come into such close contact with wildflowers when I'm out hiking. Can you hug a whole hill by hiking around it with your arms open?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. Linky wasn't co-operating for me either, Rebecca. However, he seems to be in a better mood now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful idea for a bouquet Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If it works for you Nancy, it certainly works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Barry, love what you wrote and the photos you took. I was going to do the earth but I focus so much on the outdoors in my blog I went with the books and cases. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooo I love trillium and violets..long walks in the woods..wonderful shootout!
    How are you feeling Barry? Sending love and prayers your way hon, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful to have your soul kissed by a city. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful little flower to have as a state emblem. Interesting how they are spread, I never would have imagined something like that. But I can imagine how they would have made a lovely bridal bouquet for Kerry.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the detail of this flower being spread by ants. here the ants eat my fresh vegies and some of the bushes around the yard.... one day the bush will be full and green and the next morning only bare branches....
    sending you hugs and kisses from Rio.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love touching flowers and photographing them, better than plucking them off and let them die.In photos, they stay beautiful forever!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely serene world. I can smell and feel the freshness. So tranquil...A place one would always feel welcome to visit. Bless you for the lovely photo sharing. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. Winsome nature photos
    by admirable man and woman,
    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yup, I'd say you've embraced it pretty comprehensively. In total, a pretty amazing blog - I've had scroll through, catching up on some of the posts I've missed.

    ReplyDelete